"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, April 09, 2014

H is for Home Improvement


Finally. A show that Amy and I both will agree on, she's nodding now reading this.  So, now that there is finally some agreement here in Drosche Land, on with the post.


Now, this is truly a show I grew up with. I am sure I was its target demographic for the duration of its run. A good, old-fashioned family friendly show. Busy mom? Check. Goofy dad with zany ideas?  Check. Smart child? Check. Jock child?  Check. Young child?  Check. Friendly neighbor always offering wisdom and advice?  Check. This show had it all.  It made Tim Allen famous and paved the way for his latest show (not covered on this blog), Last Man Standing.  Have you made it far without quoting Tim's signature grunt?  More power!  I'm doing it in my head since I am writing this at the boys' swim practice and I'm all about avoiding awkward stared and glances. But if you're at home, feel free to say it loud and proud. 

So, remember this show?  I know it was the 90's although I'm too afraid to look it up exactly for fear of feeling ancient once again. Did you grow up with it as I did?  What do you think, family classic?  I know the kids would love this one if it were readily available. Fingers crossed. 

All is well, 8/26 down, in Drosche Land. 

10 comments:

  1. I don't know this show, but we have similar ones in the UK. I used to like 'Changing Rooms' where the neighbours or friends would design and do a make-over on each other's rooms, be it lounge, kitchen or bedroom.
    They were not always pleased with the results, as you can imagine!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know the kind of show you are talking about. Very good. Always fun to see what they did and their reaction!

      Delete
  2. Awesome show. Didn't see all the episodes, but most of them. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I remember Home Improvement. Great show! All my friends were in love with J.T.T.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That was a good show. Since I'm alone I did the grunt and then laughed. I'm surprised you didn't mention Heidi and common sense, sidekick, Mama's boy Al. Al always had the safety aspect covered, even if he had to leave the room to do it. He was my favorite.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you were able to grunt in private! HA!

      Delete
  5. I LOVED this show as a kid! My dad's name is Tim and he is a major handyman and DIY-er (before DIY was cool). Our garage doubles as his woodworking shop and he does work on the car, plumbing, electric, etc. I was so excited when I watched the movie "Tom and Huck" and saw that JTT was in it--definitely thought he was cute when I was little :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad you found something from your era! This was such a great show and you're right, popular before DIY was!

      Delete