"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, April 05, 2014

E is for Ellen


No dilemma over choosing a topic for today's "E" post. At least not that I can't think of. I watch a lot of TV so you never know. Anyway, on with the post. 


I'm not talking about her current successful talk show and I'm not talking about her fantastic job hosting the Oscars this year (I retweeted!). Nope. I'm talking about the show that started it all. Her first sitcom. 

Originally it was titled These Friends of Mine but that was changed after the first season.  Thank goodness for that because I already had a show for "T".  In this show she played the owner of a small book store and the show focused on her, her life, and her wacky assortment of friends. It was funny, hilarious at times. Ellen herself is an amazing comedienne and I have always loved her. I even remember reading her first book, My Point … and I Do Have One back when her show was on. Hilarious. I highly recommend it. 

It's been over a decade since this show was on,and the thought that it began 20 years ago makes me feel ancient, and I haven't seen it available on Netflix, Hulu, or anywhere else. Therefore my memories of it are somewhat foggy. However, I remember thinking how great Ellen was and that she would be big. Now look at her, who knew I was so prophetic?  

Anywho, you know the story. At the height of the show's popularity she came out and then it was cancelled after the following season and a decline in viewers. But she went on to bigger and better things. Many may remember the controversy of huge show or the "groundbreaking" status of it. Me, I choose to remember it for the introduction to a hilarious actor. 

So, remember this show?  What do you think or remember about it?

All is well, 5/26 down, in Drosche Land.

2 comments:

  1. I used to watch the Ellen show all the time. Loved It.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awesome! Knew I couldn't be the only one who remembered this!

      Delete