"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, April 01, 2014

A is for A.L.F



It's April!  Time to kick off another A to Z Challenge. So, without further do, here we go. 



Now, I realize that I may be dating myself with this first TV show but hey, the 80's was a great decade and A.L.F. is just one of the many things it brought to us. Surely you've seen this wonderful show?!  If not then you must do so as soon as you finish reading this post!

What was there not to love about A.L.F.?  It had everything. A funny family. Wacky neighbors. A refugee alien life form turned pet, turned family member.  I know I wasn't the only one who wished that an alien would crash into my house and befriend me. Then we could have silly adventures as he acclimated himself to life on Earth while staying hidden in my house so as not to alert the government. Isn't that every child's dream?  Well, so long as the aforementioned alien is furry, funny, and friendly (unless you're a cat). Not the adbucting and probing kind of course.  But alas stuffed A.L.F. toys were as close as I would come.   For 4 seasons in the late 80's though, I could imagine.  There was an animated cartoon version, but I'm a purist and prefer the original.   

I know you can purchase the seasons on DVD or via iTunes or Amazon and I think they were available on Hulu Plus although we no longer subscribe to that.  Sadly though they are not available via Netflix or Amazon Prime or I would be introducing this lovable alien to my children with fingers crossed that they would enjoy him as much as I did. Who knows though, maybe some day.  Until then I have my memories. 

All is well, 1/26, in Drosche Land.  

4 comments:

  1. I so do remember Alf...and you are right he was a loveable alien...one I bet your kids would love as much as you. I have seen Alf stuffed toys in Junktique and Thrift shops and on Ebay...also there are UTube outtakes. Give them a try. Thanks for stopping by CITexas Gal for my Letter A.
    Sue at CollectInTexas Gal

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. Thanks so much. I think I'm going to have to resurrect him!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dude! My brother and I watched this growing up. Totally forgotten Alf. This is great- we've been needing a family tv night suggestion, and this would be hilarious (although the kids never seem to think our vintage movies/shows are as good as we do). Bummer that it's not streamable. Thanks!
    Julie @ Julie 2 Jules

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're so right. I'm always excited to share with my kids a show I loved and they never seem as enthused as I am. Oh well. Still hoping it'll be added some day!

      Delete