"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, July 30, 2010

Over

Today we mourn the loss of a dearly beloved friend.  Yes, that's right, summer is officially over.  Today marked the last day of vacation.  The day came and went without fanfare.  It came without ribbons.  It came without tags.  It came without packages, boxes, or bags.  Oh wait, that's Christmas in Whoville.  Anyway, the day passed without event.  Just another relaxing summer day.

The pool is deflated.  The water table dismantled.  The splash toys put away for another year.  All that remains are great photos, fun memories, and a nicely-watered and beautifully green back yard.  On a side note, did you know that you can use the same electric air pump you use to inflate things to deflate them?  That was my surprise awesome discovery today!  Don't mock me - I had no clue, but boy does it make one's life easier!  But I digress.  We had a blast this summer, our actual first one ever!  But now we must get back into our usual school routine - up early, school every day, late nights.  I've been trying to get the boys to understand this throughout the day today, but I'm not sure how much they understand.  We will see though bright and shiny on Monday morning.  Well, it won't actually be bright since it's still dark out here in Egypt when we get up, but you get the picture.  They'll do fine though, they are not really fans of sleeping in so that won't really be a big change for them.  The biggest change they will have to adapt to will be going back to school 5 days a week.

Want to know a secret?  Shhhh, you can't tell anyone.  Lean close so I can whisper.  Here goes - I'm actually quite happy to be getting back to school!  Don't get me wrong, I love my boys and I love being at home.  But I also love my job.   2 months is about all I can handle of staying at home.  Maybe if it were a permanent thing I had had grocery shopping and other things to put on my to-do list it would be different.  Although I highly doubt it.  I am just not cut out to be a permanent stay at home parent.  More power to those who are.  As mentioned in the last end of summer post, found here, I am super excited about getting back and starting a new school year.  I'm hoping that the summer will have rejuvenated me and I come back bright-eyed and bushy-tailed, ready to face another set of amazing kids!  Woo hoo!  School!

So, am I sad to see summer end?  Yeah, but it just means the beginning of the adventure of another year.  So, maybe my mourning will just be shortened.  Or maybe instead of black I'll wear grey to reflect the mixture of sad/happy feelings.  Who knows?  Regardless, another summer has passed.  Time to start all over again!

All is well, observing a brief period of mourning, in Drosche Land.    

No comments:

Post a Comment