"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, July 28, 2010

All Good Things

Must come to an end that is.  Yes, it's true.  Summer the season may still be in full throttle, but summer the vacation is rapidly winding down.  With only 3 days, counting today, left I feel it is safe to post about the end.  It was technically my first summer vacation ever and I must say, I did enjoy it.  Boy have I been missing out these past 5 summer of my teaching career.  True, working over the summer was a necessary evil and I did enjoy it too, but man oh man does it pale in comparison to summer vacation!  The only thing missing, that could have made for an even better summer off, was Amy.  But alas, such is the life of a Director, no summers off.  Hopefully next summer we can begin actual vacationing and taking trips!

So, how was it?  Well, I thoroughly enjoyed it.  I have to admit I was a bit skeptical at first.  I know you're thinking, "What's there to be skeptical about with summer?", but I was.  What would I do with my time?  What would I do with the boys?  Would being away from school make me a bad teacher when I returned?  Yes, I wondered these thoughts I'll admit.  I'm a little crazy in the head (yes, just a little) so these thoughts seemed perfectly logical to me.  But in the end I had nothing to worry about.  Of course that last one has yet to be seen since school hasn't actually begun yet.

How did I pass the time.  Well, lots actually and yet not much at the same time.  One of those mind-boggling conundrums.  How can you get so much done while actually doing nothing?  I began the summer by thoroughly cleaning the house from top to bottom, not that it was dirty, but I felt it needed a good scrubbing.  Then I filled my days with laundry, dishes, tidying, homework, playing, watching TV/movies, reading, baking, and general lazing around.  I know the first couple don't sound like a fun time, but I actually enjoy them (remember the crazy in the head, just a little though).  I also enjoyed splashing in the back yard, which also gave me some time to work on my tan!  I also started a love affair with Netflix, I mean Murder, She Wrote and Nip/Tuck on instant play, how could you not love that!  As you know I have been catching up on my recreational reading (almost done with Eclipse!  Stay tuned for the review!) which has been so nice.  Back on the "boring" side, the time off has been good for coursework, allowing me to do homework in a non rushed and unstressed manner.  I also did block plan my entire year out!  Also something "nerdy" that I LOVE!  I did be sure though to make time for just doing nothing and relaxing since Amy insisted (yeah like she had to twist my arm hard to get me to be lazy!).  Since it was my first summer I did try to do so, especially toward the end.  

So, now that it is coming to a close what did I think?  Well I loved it!  Sure there was more I should/could have done but my inaugural summer vacation was all about relaxing and enjoyment right?  :)  I'll have to start on my to-do list for next summer so I am sure I have enough planned to fill my time.  I do love a good to-do list.  I have to admit though, as much as I have enjoyed summer, I am somewhat happy that it is ending (stop gasping in shock, I said somewhat).  It was fun while it lasted but I do love my job and am excited to begin a new year!  Plus, I am hoping that the summer and time off has renewed me and I can face the coming year with excitement and vigor!  Like a fresh-faced, brand spanking new teacher!  Plus, as much as I love cleaning, laundry, baking, and lazing, I DO NOT think I could be a stay at home parent.  It's fun to try for a while and some people are great at it (it is a job too let me tell you), but it's just not for me!  I plan on spending my remaining 3 days of vacation relaxing and mentally preparing for school.  One thing is for sure though.  I am addicted to a clean/tidy house, dishes done, and all laundry done.  It will be a challenge to keep up this comfort throughout the school year, but I am going to try!  :)

All is well, with a bittersweet ending, in Drosche Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment