"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, July 01, 2010

Lockdown

Well, it's always an adventure here in Drosche Land and yesterday the boys and I had another brief one.  Yes, I know by posting this I will be opening myself to admitting a lapse in parenting/thinking on my part, but all is well and looking back on it I find it quite funny!  Anyway, onto the story.

So it was gloomy all morning and I wasn't sure if the boys would get to splash or not.  However, as has been the case with the weather here in Cypress lately, there was no rain by 10:00.  So I quickly began setup before Alex decided to send rain our way.  Being a good parent I called the boys down once everything was ready to put on their swimsuits and sunscreen (it was extremely overcast, but better safe than sorry!).  Braeden was eager to get out and go, Jack however had suddenly gotten into one of his moods and refused to suit up, insisting he didn't want to swim.  So, outside Braeden and I went, ready to splash around in the cloudy and windy weather!
 

Jack stood at the back door the entire time watching us.  From time to time I would motion to him and ask if he wanted to join us.  Still in his mood, he would just turn away from me.  I forget why, but I went to head inside for something.  The doorknob wouldn't turn!  Jack had locked us out of the house!  I yelled, "YOU LOCKED THE DOOR!" and I swear to you, he just smiled slyly at me!  I started hollering at him to unlock the door, pointing to where the lock was.  Finally he reached up and turned the lock and I burst in the door.  It couldn't have been more than 2 minutes that I was locked out, but it seemed like an eternity.
 

Once inside I firmly told Jack that he was to NEVER touch the locks on the doors ever again.  It was clear from his reaction that he didn't understand the gravity of everything that had just happened so he didn't receive any spanking or punishment other than the discussion.  After we had calmed down and hugged it out, Jack changed his mind about splashing and we all went back outside to enjoy ourselves.
 

So, all's well that ends well.  Everyone is safe and sound.  Lessons have been learned, myself included (keys will be coming out to splash from now on!).  I'm truly just glad I did not have to break a window.  That would have sucked!  Well, there it is, my lapse exposed.  Think what you will, I personally find it comical.  Jack always has been, and apparently always will be, a handful!  This incident is just one in a long line of his mischievousness, all of which I'm sure I will look back upon and laugh in the future!

All is well, extra keys on hand, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment