"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, July 08, 2010

Homecoming

AMY'S HOME!!!

Yes, it's true, we are all back together at Drosche Land headquarters!  Amy woke up this morning even better than yesterday.  Dr. Davis came to the room early in the morning and said everything looked good and confirmed that Amy would be discharged!  We should have known it would take a while, but we (mainly me) were still anxious to come home.

Around 10:00 Amy's nurse (the fantastic STACI!) came and removed Amy's IV.  We (again mainly me) thought this was a sure sign we were out of there soon.  But alas we had more waiting to do.  Finally, around 11:45, Amy suggested that I go get lunch.  As luck would have it, as soon as I got back to the room and sat down to eat (another chef's salad, nothing else caught my eye) in walks the nurse with Amy's discharge papers.  Ha!  So, while she explained everything to Amy, I snarfed (I mean SNARFED - like a contestant in a hot dog eating contest!) down my lunch and finished packing up.

Just like that, after all the waiting, we were out of there in like 20 minutes!  Crazy.  The trip home was hard for Amy.  I did my best to drive slowly, which wasn't a big problem since it was pouring, but it was still an uncomfortable ride for her.  Once we arrived home and I got her settled down I headed out to fill her prescription and pick up some other recover necessities the nurse recommended.  Then it was back home to drop that stuff off and check on Amy before heading back out to get the boys from their stay at Mema's house.

On the way home I explained, several times, to the boys about Amy as best I could.  Basically they know that the doctor worked on Mommy's tummy and that it is sore now while it gets better.  I was sure to run down the list of new rules for them in the hopes that they wouldn't have a lapse and forget.  1 - No sitting on Mommy's lap,  2 - No jumping on Mommy, 3 - Mommy cannot pick you up, and 4 - No touching Mommy's tummy.  I'm happy to say that so far they are doing well with their new found, and unfamiliar restrictions.

Amy is doing well, as best as can be expected.  She has showered and had some tea and is relaxing as much as possible.  She is in a lot of pain (obviously) but the prescription helps that quite a bit.  Almost as bothersome as the pain is how tired she is.  But I have to say I am in complete awe of how well she is dealing with everything.  She has been a real trooper!  I love her so very much and am so proud of her.

THANKS again to all of our family and friends for all of the prayers, thoughts, and well wishes.  They truly were a large part of us getting through this.  Also a big shout out to Memorial Hermann - Memorial City.  Pretty much everyone (with the exception of Amy's recovery nurse - grrrr argh!) was awesome and bent over backward to make sure we were comfortable and well taken care of.  So, need surgery or know someone who does?  Get to Memorial Hermann - Memorial City!  Oh, and while you're there (or even if you're just driving by) don't forget to TRY THE HUMMUS!  :)

All is well, back at home base, in Drosche Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment