"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, September 05, 2010

Old School

So it's the Labor Day weekend.  Time for rest, relaxation, and fun.  Right?  Well yeah.  And that's how ours was going until this morning when the dryer decided to celebrate Labor Day by not working.

Flashback to yesterday.  The cousins came over.  We grilled brats and hot dogs.  All the kids ran around, splashed, and played in the back yard.  All was right with the world, and with the holiday.

Snap back to today when the only thing happening in the back yard is me drying clothes.  The old fashioned way.  Well, not completely.  I don't have a clothesline or anything fancy like that.  Just a drying rack, a couple of camp chairs, and two loads of wet laundry.  I must say though that God can dry clothing a lot faster than Frigidaire can.  Who knew?  

This morning I stayed at home with the boys rather than trying to wrangle the boys through 3 church services since Amy had to give the Children's Sermon at the 8:15 and 11:00 services.  No big deal.  I'd get all the laundry done that I didn't do yesterday because of the party.  Right.  2 loads in and 2 left to go and the dryer throws in the towel.  Or rather just tosses it around, sans heat.  It was quite uneventful too.  I filled the dryer and set it to go.  An hour later I came back to check and the clothes were still wet.  Uh oh!  I had no clue it was going to happen.  There was no warning, no sound, smell, or explosion.  I guess I'm grateful for the lack of any major dryer catastrophe though now that I think about it.

Now we wait.  The next step is to call a repairman to come and check it out.  Hopefully it is something simple that can be easily (and dare I say inexpensively) replaced or repaired!  Lucky for us, we have Emergency Fund set up for incidents like this (thanks Dave Ramsey).  It's times like this when we are reminded why we are working so hard to become debt free!  It's true what Dave says though, instead of being a major event that we are totally unprepared for, this is now just a small frustration we must deal with.  It was amazing how stress-free the dryer going out was.  Let's hope the process of fixing it remains that way!   Amy gets major props too for being the Drosche Financial Wizard.  I think she'll like that title, maybe I'll get her a plaque.

So, until the repairman comes and diagnoses the dryer I'm kickin' it old school.  Luckily I didn't have sheets in the washer, or towels.  I'm also thankful that today was not sweltering with 150% humidity.  Ahhhhh, the joys of life.  Well, excuse me but I've got to go check the laundry.  No buzzer.  Just a peek out the back door!

All is well, hung out to dry, in Drosche Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment