"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Creative Cramming

My name is Dusty and I am a pack rat (Hi Dusty).  Yes, it's true.  I have trouble getting rid of things.  Magazines.  The kids' art work/school work.  Pens.  Miscellaneous things.  It's a sickness I know, but it's ok because I can admit it.  Right?  In all honesty I have gotten better about this (stop laughing Amy).  I'm hoping that this new adventure of moving will kick my rehab into high gear.  We'll see.  

Yesterday we began working on the back yard.  We are by no means finished, but we are getting somewhere.  Today, we began what I refer to as creative cramming.  You know what I mean.  Finding a temporary place to hide something.  It could be something that you normally keep out but suddenly need to put away to de-clutter (toaster), something that doesn't have a specific place so you just keep it out (the kid's money jars), or just something that you use so frequently that it's just easiest to have it out and handy (too many pens).  Regardless of what it is or why it's out, apparently it has no place within eyesight when you are selling your house.  Which brought to my mind an interesting thought.  People buy a house so they have a place to put all of their things.  Once you get it you spend forever and a day finding a place for everything and keeping it looking tidy.  However, when you go to sell or buy a house no one wants any of said stuff out, better to pretend it doesn't exist.  Ironic huh?  On a side note I love me some Alanis Morissette and now that song will be stuck in my head (and maybe yours too?).  Anyways, I digress.

So this evening we began on the kitchen.  Putting things away where they never have been, but now are.  Clearing off the counters so that our already large amount of counter space now seems vast.  However, the best part has to be Braeden's reaction to it all.  See, during all of this cramming, er cleaning, the boys were in the back yard playing (thank you beautiful weather!).  One of the things we cleaned was the refrigerator.  Off came the assorted magnets, art work, doctor's appointment reminders, prescriptions, pictures, etc.  It now sits naked, reflecting everything and everyone.  Anyway, Braeden comes in and stops dead in his tracks.  Eyes wide he exclaims, "Wow!  We got a new refrigerator?!"  HA!  So, you know you fridge is cluttered when your children don't recognize it once the clutter is removed.  Mind you, we've had this fridge now for 3 years (paid off in November, thanks Dave!).  Ahhhh, out of the mouths of babes huh?

So, the kitchen now is bare, or is it just clean?  I guess depends on your outlook.  All I know is that it (hopefully) is ready to meet the realtor on Sunday.  That and I can now use it as a mirror in the mornings on my way out the door.  Tomorrow who knows what we will clean, organize, de-clutter, or otherwise alter.  So far this new adventure hasn't been too bad, but then again we aren't too far into it yet.  I guess for now I will just continue to find hiding/storage places for our belongings and enjoy the easy start to this adventure.

All is well, hidden in drawers, cabinets, and elsewhere, in Drosche Land.   

No comments:

Post a Comment