"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xanthospermous

Ok, now that I have your attention.  Do you know what that word means?  Don't cheat, no looking it up.  You'll find out soon enough.

I'll admit, I enlisted the help of Google to find a good word for today's post.  But hey, it's the first time I've done so.  As it turns out though, this word and its meaning jumped out at me right away!  It was clearly destiny as it pertained directly to something here in Drosche Land.

See I just took my class on a field trip to a strawberry farm.  I have never been and it came about via a tip from a parent.  Now you know we love a good farm experience here in Drosche Land.  We have our annual trips to Dewberry Farm to pick out our pumpkins.  We also venture out yearly (this past year being an exception) to cut our own Christmas tree.  So, needless to say, I was excited about this prospect.  I'd intended to take Amy and the kids out there prior to my field trip to test the waters and see about it.  That didn't happen.  As it turns out though a trip to a strawberry farm to pick your own isn't ideal for a woman who is 8 months pregnant (lots of sun and bending over).

However, I have a feeling that we will be heading there in the future.  And often.  We had a blast.  It was so much fun to get out there and pick  your own strawberries.  My students, and I of course, had so much fun and learned a lot.  Also, talk about fresh!  And it's a steal since they are only $2/lb.!  Seriously!  That's way cheaper than the grocery.  I know the boys and Amy will have a great time and I'm sure Stella will eventually as well.  I now have 5 lbs of fresh strawberries awaiting me in the refrigerator.

I highly recommend heading out to such a place if you have one near.  It is so much fun, healthy, and inexpensive.  I'm definitely now on the lookout for similar places nearby.  I hear there's a great blueberry place around here too!  Those are Jack's favorites.

Oh, I nearly forgot.  Xanthospermous.  I hope you didn't pause from reading and cheat.  What does it mean, this word that leaped out at me from the screen?  Simple - "having yellow seeds".  Awesome huh?  Now you've learned something new, just as I did!

Do you have a nearby farm or farmer's market where you like to get your fruits and veggies?  It's a ton of fun right?   If you haven't, get on Google now to find out what's around you!

My delicious, and xanthospermous, strawberries!

All is well, with strawberries and a larger vocabulary, in Drosche Land.

2 comments:

  1. That's an awesome word! I guessed the first part of the meaning, since I know the name Xanthe means blonde or yellow, and one of my favorite alternate words for blonde is xanthochroid. Strawberry farms are so much fun. We have a lot of them in Upstate NY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice X word! Glad you could begin to decipher mine. I'm also glad to find someone else that enjoys the strawberry farm as much as I do! :)

      Delete