"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, April 13, 2012

L is for Lima Beans

Lima beans.  The red-headed step child of the legume world.  Nobody likes them, at least nobody I know of.  But I like them, I really do.  And not just in a side dish sort of way.  See, I approach the much-despised bean through the eyes of a teacher.  In the classroom they are quite valuable.  See, let me explain.

They are a good size so kids can handle them easily and manipulate them.  They are tough and hearty so  said kids wont easily destroy them while they are observing them.  They also germinate (ooooh, big Science word!) quickly, meeting the needs of the attention spans of 6 and 7-year olds.  They can even be planted without water!  Simply wrap them in a damp paper towel, seal them in a Ziploc bag, and tape to a window.  Then sit back and watch the fun bloom, literally.  Of course they can also be planted the traditional way.  In fact, I have 21 cups in my classroom right now, each with lima beans inside.  This was part of our soil study.  They are eagerly watched and eagerly (hopefully not too much so) watered in anticipation of their growth.

But, aside from the lima bean's educational properties, I do enjoy eating them as well.  I know, again, that I am among the rare few who does enjoy them but I'll stand tall and proudly announce that I like them!  As with any bean they are good alone, cooked in a variety of ways, or mixed together with other ingredients.  Do a quick Google (or your preferred search engine) search and find any number of delectable recipes built around this misunderstood food.

So, see, they're not so bad.  Lima beans have lots of potential, both inside and outside of the kitchen.  I encourage you to give them another shot, or at least plant some in a bag on your window.  Come on, what have you got to lose?  Do you have a favorite food that is an outcast among others?  Something that everyone else hates, but you enjoy?  Go on, enjoy it and be proud!

Lima beans!  Posing for an artsy shot in all their maligned glory!

All is well, showing lima beans some love, in Drosche Land.



No comments:

Post a Comment