"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, April 16, 2012

N is for Nook & Nook App

I love to read.  I always have.  It's a topic I've mentioned here before.  I've even mulled over the options of reviewing books here on this blog.  However, I am not blessed with a reviewer's voice, nor am I blessed with the time to review books on a regular basis.  It was one of my New Year's resolutions to read more and, thanks to The Hunger Games trilogy, it is one I am on my way to keeping.

I'm split on the recent debate between eReaders and traditional books.  Sure, nothing beats a good book.  The feel of the paper.  Using a book mark or folding down the corner to mark your place.  Reading the back covers in a book store to see if it sounds good.  However, there is something to say for technology.  Having hundreds of books at your fingertips whenever and wherever you need them.  The ability to pick up a book no matter what else you're doing and read.  The portability.  You see my dilemma, one I'm sure many people have.

Now, I'm a huge Apple and iPad fan, that's no secret.  But apparently the Nook is huge.  Amy wanted, and got, one this past Christmas and has been in love with it.  She loves reading as much as, if not more than, I do.  It wasn't long until we realized to make the most of the Nook app for iPad.  Our tastes aren't always in line when it comes to reading, but occasionally we see eye-to-eye, or page-to-page for that matter.  Well, thanks to the Nook app we can both read the same book at the same time and only purchase it once!  Now, I know we are not the only or first people to realize this (at least I highly doubt it) but we still enjoy the feeling that we're beating the system a bit!  Taking advantage of them somewhat.  Ha!  We live on the wild side here in Drosche Land huh?!  Aside from our joy in dabbling with corporate trickery, the Nook and its iPad app allow us to have a common eReader ground here in Drosche Land.  Compromise is always a good thing right?  Plus, the Nook app gives me access to many books that aren't available via iBooks (The Hunger Games trilogy to name just 3).  So it's a win-win situation all around.

Paper or eReader?  iPad or Nook?  What's your choice?  Or are you like me and like you keep your options open?  Ahhh the new choices we readers have!

Nook meets iPad - a match made in heaven!  

All is well, well-read, in Drosche Land.


2 comments:

  1. I actually did a two-part series on books and ebooks for the challenge (you can see them here and here).

    I do enjoy the ease with which you can read ebooks, but I love print books as well. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I'll have to head on over and check it out! :)

      Delete