"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, August 09, 2010

The Same, But Different

Well, this coming year will be my 7th year teaching!  Wow!  As if the rapidly approaching dirty "t word" wasn't enough to make me feel old this sudden realization has joined forces.  Yeah yeah yeah I know 30 isn't that old, with age and experience comes wisdom.  I've heard it all before.  I'm sure when I am on the freeway to 40 I will be thinking the same (perish the thought of the dreades 4-0!).  But I digress.  What, you ask, is the conundrum I speak about in the title of this post?  Funny you should ask, I was just getting off my 30 soapbox to discuss that.  

So, like I said, this will be my 7th year teaching.  Every year these 2-odd weeks before school are a whirlwind of hectic planning, organizing, shopping (WOO HOO!), rearranging, meetings, and the inevitable attempt to get back into routine (and get used to wearing pants and not shorts (don't even get me started on the transition from flip-flops!)).  This year though has seemed different.  Here we are, 6 days into the 2010-2011 school year and I am enjoying the smooth sailing that is thus far!  Yes I am busy doing all the aforementioned things, but it's different.  I know, those of you relating this to the above tangent about the t-word are going to say experience and confidence, but you're WRONG!  Well, yeah maybe that is slightly it, but not the main part I'm talking about.  Well, to keep you from pulling your hair out in anticipation I will tell you the difference: NO MOVING!  Yes, that's right, this is the first school year that I have not had to move classrooms and/or schools!  It's amazing the amount a little stability can make.  Let me break it down for you.

2004 - 1st year.  Move everything to St. John in NOLA and get used to being an actual teacher.

2005 - 2nd year.  Yeah, I didn't move but still reeling from the 1st year.  Then enter Hurricane Katrina - nuff said.

2006 - 3rd year.  First year at Memorial, basically starting over and repeat of year 1.

2007 - 4th year.  Renovations at Memorial begin and my classroom is cut in half in size forcing me to rearrange and pack up tons of stuff.

2008 - 5th year.  More renovations at Memorial.  This time an entirely new room, again.

2009 - 6th year.  Move to Trinity, again, basically starting all over, again.

2010 - 7th year.  Steady, predictable, familiar bliss.

See what I'm talking about.  Crazy huh?  So, you can see my slight confusion at not having to pack, unpack, etc for the first time ever.  Boy is it nice.  I have been able to focus on planning for the upcoming year, cleaning and rearranging my classroom, and learning our brand-spankin' new Reading/LA curriculum (Aweseome, but tons of work!).  I think it is setting this year up for nothing but success and ease, I hope.  By the way, none of you are allowed to throw these words back at my in future posts about the crazy hectic pace of life and/or the school year, got it?  I'm going to enjoy myself now!   Ahhhhhhh.

Oh, did I mention our new building at Trinity is almost done and K - 4th will be moving into it next school year?  AAAAAAHHHHHHHH!  Oh well, the no moving thing was nice while it lasted!  :)

All is well, without having to unpack boxes, in Drosche Land.    

No comments:

Post a Comment