"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, April 17, 2013

O = Old

Old.

Yes I know I'm only just dipping my toes in the waters of the 30's, but there's nothing like having a baby to make you realize that you aren't as young as you used to be.  See, we had the boys early.  I was 25 and Amy was 24 when Braeden was born and just a year older when Jackson came along.  So we were young parents.  We would often get asked why we didn't wait longer, why we chose to have kids so young.  Well, we both wanted them.  It's not like we had tons of money to travel or spend on ourselves anyway.  Plus, there will be plenty of time for that when the nest is empty.  Right?  Hope so.  At least if we continue on Dave Ramsey's plan there will be.

So we had kids young.  I remember going to parties/school functions/whatnot where the boys' classmates' parents were also present.  I felt so out of place at times.  Here I was in my 20's, basically just winging it and having fun along the way, while there were all of these "older" parents with established careers, 401Ks, and family-friendly transportation (not a tiny Cabrio).  Awkward.  We are still younger than many of the parents in either Braeden's or Jackson's class, so that keeps me feeling younger than I am (sorry other parents!).

Flash forward 6 years and Stella comes along.  Sure, we're "experienced" now.  Yes we have a house in the suburbs and a minivan.  We're the parents that used to intimidate me.  Yikes!  How did that happen?  I thought I was young?  Crap, the 30's came along and wrote me a reality check.  

Getting up with a newborn is harder when you're in your 30's.  Running around and chasing after a crawler who is into everything seems to be a bit more exhausting now than I remember.  Of course, having the other 2 running around doesn't help much in the busy department, but I think some of it has to do with being older.

I don't feel older, well not most of the time.  I don't think I look that much older, no gray hairs yet!  But then here comes this adorable, chunky little girl to make me realize otherwise!  Oddly enough though, she also makes me feel young sometimes.  Having a baby is fun, even though it's a ton of work.  She keeps me on my toes, literally.  So I guess it's not so bad being an "older" parent in the long run.  At least I won't be having these same worried in a decade!

All is well, 15/26 down, in Drosche Land.     

No comments:

Post a Comment