"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, July 28, 2011

The Beginning of the End

Of summer that is.  See, today was the boys' last day at home for the summer.  When you're a teacher's kid, or at least our kids, you return to school at the beginning of August when the teachers report back.  Yes, in a way this gyps them out of 2 weeks of summer vacation, but it is what it is.  Overall it was an easy-going day for us.  The boys woke up, as usual, at the crack of dawn.  They played and watched TV for a bit and I (finally) finished the deck.  I know, I blogged about it long ago, and technically it was finished.  Today I just put the finishing touches on in the forms of borders around the edge to give it a good look and keep critters (i.e. bunnies) out from under it.  Then I took the boys to the neighborhood pool, had lunch, and they took a great nap.  After that it was snack time (cake because it was after all the last day of their summer and I'm a push-over).  Then more playtime and our day wound down.  Nothing spectacular but relaxing nonetheless.

Although I do have the usual (for me that is) guilt over not having done more this summer.  We could have made playdough, gone to the Zoo, swam more, done more home improvement projects, had fun craft projects, etc.  I do this at the end of every summer.  The only saving grace for me this year was the fact that this was the "Summer of Vacations" here in Drosche Land.  A week-long trip to Arkansas, the beach at Quintana, and then a weekend at a Galveston beach house.  Easily the most vacationing we've ever done in a summer.  This did make for a fun and memorable time, not to mention the fact that it provided us with a couple of hundred pictures!

Do you go through this end of the summer blues?  Yes, I know there is the usual "wish it could be longer" but I'm talking about the self-inflicting of guilt for the things left undone.  Maybe it's just me, I do it at the end of the school year with my students too.  There is always room for some coulda, woulda, shoulda.

Tomorrow they go to school, per their request, for "Pajama & Movie Day".  They are stoked!  That means tomorrow will be my last day alone for the summer.  What are my plans?  I'm not sure.  Part of me says I should lay around and watch TV (I'm almost done with the 2nd season of Brothers & Sisters on Netflix), relishing in the bliss of nothingness.  But then again part of me says I have to do something productive.  We'll see which wins out!  I have a feeling laziness and a bit of guilt will be the dominant forces tomorrow!

All is well, nearing the end, in Drosche Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment