"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, July 12, 2012

Lockdown

So, I've been out and about this week, with the kids in tow as Amy has been attending a conference each day.  Monday I had a meeting at work so I brought the 3 of them along and Amy picked them up on her way home.  Tuesday I had some perspective students to test so again the kids joined me at school.  When this is the case the boys have their typical routine of hanging out in my classroom, playing on the computer or with the games and manipulatives.  Stella stayed with me and all of my coworker friends visited with her and were, of course, enamored with her.  These days went quite well.  3 kids isn't so bad.  Friends with 3 or more children had told us during Amy's pregnancy that once you're outnumbered it's not so bad.  Going from 1 to 2 was rough with the boys.  They were so close in age and were not necessarily what one would term "easy" babies.  Going from 2 to 3 was a much easier transition.  Partially because we are older, and hopefully wiser, and partially because Stella is definitely what one could term an "easy" baby.  So outings alone with the 3 of them didn't concern me at all.

So, what is the point of this post?  I am sure, dear readers, you are asking yourself that very question.  Well, yesterday Stella had a doctor's appointment to follow up on her condition after switching her formula last week due to the milk allergy.  Well, it's been raining all week so that right there proved to add a challenge to our easy outing.  But the boys both have umbrellas and Stella and I had one so it shouldn't be too bad.  We made it to the doctor's office and through the appointment just fine.  Stella has gained a pound in one week, tipping the scales at 10 lbs, 9 oz.!  My problem-free run with the kids was about to come to an abrupt start.  We opened our umbrellas and headed to the car.  Then, in the process of loading everyone in, I locked the keys in the car.  Luckily none of the kids was in yet and my phone was in my pocket.  But there I was, in the pouring rain with 3 kids staring at my keys and the diaper bag sitting on the front passenger seat.

It was all quite innocent really.  Stella and my umbrella were on my left arm, the diaper bag and keys on my right.  I unlocked the passenger door and as I put the diaper bag on the seat, my keys fell out of my hand.  Normally I put them in my pocket but I thought, "Eh, I've got my hands full, I'll leave them there."  Famous last words right?  So I hit the button to unlock the doors and shut that door and proceeded to open the back door to put the kids in.  But the door wouldn't open.  That's when it hit me.  CRAP!  Jack's response was, "Great, now we're stuck out here in the rain!  For-Ev-Er!"  Luckily my Mom reminded me, after a call to see if she had a spare key, that we have OnStar.  However, they were unable to remotely unlock the car after 2 attempts so I'll have to check on that.  But they did send someone out and within 3 minutes the car was unlocked!  I was, obviously, relieved.  Except for the disconcerting fact that it takes someone less than 5 minutes to open a locked car.  Crazy right?

I felt bad.  That's what I get for being cocky and overly sure of myself.  But I had everything handled and luckily all ended well.  I'll tell you now though that we will never be without OnStar in any of our cars.  Oh, and I'll never set my keys down in the car, that first time was the last time!  But, despite our rainy snafu, so far 3 kids isn't that bad at all.  Oh wait, one is still immobile!  I guess we'll have to revisit this decision in a few months!

All is well, locked or unlocked, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment