"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, March 22, 2012

Countdown

I don't know why, but I gave up sweets again this year for Lent. Maybe I've already mentioned this but I can't remember. It's probably the lack of sugar having a detrimental impact on my memory. I know the purpose of giving up things for Lent and I totally get it. But man is it hard. I know what you're thinking, "Um, it's supposed to be a struggle!". I know, you're right. Believe me, it is a struggle. But that doesn't mean I can't miss my sweets. And miss them I do. Do you know that Lent encompasses several events that focus on sweets?

For one, it's Girl Scout cookie time! We ordered 8 boxes this year! That was way back when Lent seemed forever away and I hadn't given any thought to what I'd give up this year. Oh how innocent and naive I was. Needless to say, I haven't had a single one of those cookies. Amy and the boys have though. And I've watched them. Thin Mints, Caramel Delights, Peanut Butter Patties, Shortbread, etc. I'm salivating. Luckily my lovely wife has been saving a few of each kind, as they polish off box after box, for me. I'll be gorging, I mean eating, them on Easter!

Secondly, Rodeo season! We jusT finished this glorious time of year and again I did not get to partake in any fried sweet indulgences! Fried cheesecake on a stick. Fried Twinkies. Fried cookie dough (on a stick). Fried Snickers bars (on a stick). Fried ice cream. Again with the salivating. Ahhhhh carnival food! You name it, they can fry it. I just can't eat it. On a side note though I did indulge, twice, on some of my favorite fried (savory) treats: catfish, hush puppies, french fries, and fried green tomatoes!

Thirdly! Although it's not technically an occasion, I feel it still bears mentioning. I'll refer to it as Pre-Easter candy. You know what I'm talking about. It's the Easter candy you buy early because you want to be sure to get some before they run out at the last minute. You tell yourself it's for Easter but as the holiday get nearer the supply is rapidly dwindling. Or maybe you buy it early so you can eat it throughout the entire season? The same can be said for Halloween, Christmas, and Valentine's Day candy. I know I can't be the only one who does this, you know you do too! Reese's peanut butter eggs, jellybeans, Cadbury creme eggs (my fave!), chocolate bunnies. Yes, you guessed it, salivating.

Again, I totally get the reason behind the act of giving something up for Lent and I totally support it. I don't regret it, mostly, because of what it stands for. However I do also take things on. Namely reading the Bible. I always take on a new reading plan for the Lenten season and did so again this year. It's to help with the giving up and remembering why I did so in the first place.

Ironically posting about my sweets withdrawal, which is not getting any easier over this 40-day period, has actually helped a little. I feel a little stronger. My resolve it not as weak. I'm inspired again as to why I did it. But I am also hungry. Next year I don't think I'll be givng up sweets again. Maybe I'll try something new. Some other addiction to deprive my self of in order to strengthen my faith and bring me closer to Him. Remember the true reason for the Lenten and Easter season. But I have a year to think about that. In the mean time, I'm busy planning, and looking forward to, my Easter binge!

Did you give up anything for Lent? Take anything on? If so, how's it going? Tough? Rough? Easy? Regardless, stay strong dear readers, we're over halfway there! We'll celebrate together in 16 days. Not that I'm counting.

All is well, drooling, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment