"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, May 20, 2011

The Patient & The Graduate

So, clearly this post has 2 parts. Yesterday was a busy and eventful day here in Drosche Land, especially for Amy and Braeden. I'll try and cover it all here with a minimum of rambling and tangent-taking! Sit back, relax, and enjoy!

Part 1 - You may remember from the last post that Amy was awaiting exploratory laparoscopic surgery. Well, the surgery occurred Thursday morning, earlier than we thought. As it turns out her doctor did in fact find an adhesion just as he thought he would. It was a simple and routine repair that took only around 30 minutes. After coming out of recovery and meeting their post-surgery requirements she was able to go home yesterday! She is currently pretty tired and sore, but doing very well. I am doing my best to be a helpful nurse so she can get as much rest as possible. Probably one of the coolest parts of the surgery is that the doctor gave us some wicked awesome pictures of the adhesion! Like from actually INSIDE her body! It is amazing what modern medicine and doctors can do, totally amazing. I'm thinking of framing the pictures or posting them to Facebook, I am totally in awe of them! On a side note (not technically a tangent since it has to do with Part 1) the staff at the hospital, Memorial Hermann Memorial City, are awesome! Last year we were totally blessed to have some great nurses and staff taking care of her and this year was exactly the same! You may also remember me frequently blogging about the hospital food last year. Well I did once again partake in it, although I did not have any of the hummus this time. Instead i had a great Greek salad for dinner the first night and a tuna salad sandwich for lunch the next day. Yum! As nice as the staff and food were though, it is of course great to be back home. I stayed home with her again today since it was her first day after surgery and she still cannot do a lot. We stayed downstairs to avoid her having to go up and down but tonight she was able to make it up and in her own bed. I can't blame her for missing it. It'll be nice for things to begin to get back to normal again. This is the end of Part 1.

Now would be a good time to take a break, use the restroom, or get a snack. I'll wait. Ok, ready?

Part 2 - Yesterday was also a momentous occasion for Braeden! It was his Pre-Kindergarten graduation! Amy was pretty upset to miss it and insisted i go and videotape it, which of course I did. I'd like to say that everything went off without a hitch, but I'd be lying. His stage-fright once again got the better of him. He walked in with his friends just fine, but once he got to the front of the church and had to walk up onto the stage area, he lost it. I have to give it to his teachers, they tried their damnedest to get him to participate, but to no avail. I taped the whole thing though because it was a big day for him regardless. He got 2nd place for running the most laps in PE! An award he sort of accepted as he was carried by his teacher to receive it. He also went up to get his "diploma", again with the help of his teacher. But when all was said and done it was a great little program and they kids were of course adorable. By the time I packed up my things and made it to the little reception he was fine and back to himself. This was great because it allowed me to get some great pictures (Sunday Snapshot!)! All in all I am still proud of him and truth be told we sort of expected it to go this way. But, what are you going to do? You just have to make the recording into a super cute movie in iMovie (which I totally love now), laugh, and move on!

So, I think that covered everything from yesterday. A super busy day and we are all still a little exhausted from the events of the past few days. However we are all together again and will settle back into normalcy as much as possible. Amy is recovering, Braeden is growing up, we are all back together in our house, and Rex is taking Immodium (he is once again undergoing a bout of intestinal distress). I do have to thank all of our family, friends, and coworkers though for their thoughts, prayers, and help over these past few days. It has been amazing to receive it all and we a very grateful, thankful, and blessed. It took a lot of people to make these past few days bearable despite the craziness and we thankful for each one.

Oh, one last thing. The night I stayed in the hospital with Amy I smashed my finger super bad in the fold-out chair/bed thing. It blackened up immediately and I almost passed out. It's all good now though, just nasty looking and swollen. I've never done that before and I am hesitantly waiting to see if everyone who says I will lose it is right?!?! Aaahhh! We will see.

All is well, I think the rain is stopping, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment