"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, October 18, 2010

A Cut Above

Ok, so I have something to admit.  Yes, I am a teacher.  Yes, I LOVE my job.  But I am somewhat ashamed to admit that we don't do a lot of "school-y" things at home with the boys.  I know, shocker.  Now, don't get me wrong.  It's not all video games, sugar, and TV here in Drosche Land for the littlest citizens.  We do read, we do color, we do play outside, and we talk a lot (not just me - everyone).  But things like cutting, gluing, play doh, etc. don't get done as much as you'd think (or as much as I'd always like).  This is partly because I mean, it's my job, I do those things all day.  So do the boys.  The last thing we want to do when we get home is play school.  Family time takes precedent over that.  Plus the boys are just 3 and 4.  There will be plenty of time for homework, projects, reading, and other various and sundry school activities.  For now we take it easy and I try to focus on reading and discussing.  

Why the random soap box you ask?  Well, tonight it was reiterated to me just how important school is, for all ages.  In this instance, Early Childhood.  We were working on Braeden's homework for this week - an F/f collage and he was cutting pictures out of magazines.  Well, of course you know Jack had to do some "homework" too.  And since Braeden's homework involved magazines and scissors, he insisted his did also.  I don't know why I thought this would be a good time to work on his cutting skills.  Maybe the inner teacher in me came out, maybe the guilty teacher/parent came out, or maybe I was just a glutton for punishment.  Regardless the reason, so began the painstakingly tedious activity that was teaching my darling Jack, a 3-year old, rough and tumble boy with limited fine motor skills, how to cut.  Luckily I am happy to say that no one lost or sliced open a digit in the process.  I am still in awe as to how I was able to cram my adult fingers into a pair of safety scissors along with his chubby, little, toddler, sausage fingers.  But alas, Braeden got most of his homework finished and Jack had a great time cutting magazine pages into strips.  Did the activity actually benefit Jack?  Who knows?  I sure hope so or the hand cramp I have was all for naught.  

It did though, bring into me a great admiration and respect for all Early Childhood teachers who teach the little ones how to do basic skills such as pencil grip, cutting, fine & gross motor, etc.  Wow!  Saints, all of them.  Special thanks to those, Vivian, Chamie, Julie, and Vera, who educate my little dudes!  So, after tonight's fun I once again make the resolution to work more on those activities/skills at home with the boys.  I really do want to do so, we are just often crunched for time.  Hopefully the move will help with this, it should!  We will see how everything fares this time around!  

All is well, bandage-free, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment