"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, February 20, 2010

Well We're Movin' On Up

   No, not to the East Side, or to any side for that matter, not yet.  I'm talking about clothes - for the boys.  As Amy was resting and nursing a headache brought on by a head-butt to the nose, courtesy of Jack; I decided to clean up the boys' closets.  Well, at least just the clothes portion, I have no energy or want to work on toys.  As I was sorting clothes that had been piled in the closet I realized that it might be time to move the boys into the next size up.  For Jack this means from 24 months/2T to a 3T and Braeden from a 3T to a 4T.  I love this process because I love clothes.  The boys get "new" clothes and therefore new outfits and combinations.  Just as I was getting everything sorted, Amy joined me and I talked her into the idea.  This is not one of Amy's favorite things to do.  Aside from sitting and going through the clothes, she does not enjoy the visual aide that reminds us that the boys are growing up faster than we realize.  However, she also brought up something I had not thought about that kind of made me a little sad as well.  See, in the past as we have sorted through the clothes we have decided what we will sell at a garage sale and what we will keep for future children if we have any more boys.  However, that is no longer the case.  As we move forward with the China adoption process, the likelihood of us ever having another boy is very slim.  This is not a problem for us, but changes how we go through the boys' clothes and how we look at the things we have saved thus far.  We have gone through clothes so much now, the items that we have kept that are sized Newborn - 18 months have been whittled down to special clothes with special memories attached.  So, now we have come face to face with the fact that we will never need these saved clothes.  What do we do with them?  Keep for nostalgic reasons?  Donate it all?  Re-sort and look for gender-neutral clothing?  Being ourselves, and good Lutherans, we have decided to not confront this now and worry about it later.  Just one of the many things that comes with our decision to adopt that we have not thought of.  I'm sure there will be many more similar experiences.  Not that it changes our minds or affects our decision - not in the slightest.  So, for now the boys will look good in their "new" clothes and 6 tubs of boys clothing remain in their closet.  All is well in Drosche Land!      

No comments:

Post a Comment