"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Friday, June 10, 2011

Fight Club

No, I'm not reviewing the Brad Pitt movie.  Although, I do have to admit that I have not seen it before.  Borrowing it's title for this post though makes me way to watch it.   Hmmmm, I'll have to check out Netflix for it's availability.  But I digress.  Back to the post.

Boys will be boys, as the saying goes.  I've said it before myself, about students, my nephews, and of course my boys.  I've also made frequent use of the terms rambunctious, crazy, wild, animals.  You get the idea.  Yeah, they're sweet and all, but they are boys.  Fighting seems to come naturally to them.  Fighting when they're angry with each other and of course play fighting when they are not.  Both of these together comprise about 90% of their time together.  Sometimes it gets out of hand and they get a bit wild.  Generally I know it's time to intervene when I am downstairs and the ceiling shakes with a sudden tremendous thud.  This is usually from pushing, running, or jumping (as in off of furniture).  Once they reach this point of no return everyone begins to lose it.  Amy and I are constantly racking our brains to find ways to let them play and be themselves but also to remain some semblance of control.  Plus, one day someone is going to break an arm, leg, or piece of furniture!

So the cycle continued: play, out of control, time out.  Repeat as needed.  As summer is now officially in swing I was dreading living out this cycle multiple times throughout each day for the next 2 months.  Then this past Monday, the first full day of summer no less, I had an epiphany!  One that would change our lives.  Sounds dramatic I know, but trust me it's true!  See, people have cuss jars to curb bad language right?  Well, wouldn't the same theory apply to other undesirable behavior?  Well, it was worth a try right?  The boys each have a large jar where they keep their money, you know what they get for birthdays and chores (which I need to reassess this summer but that's for another time).  One mason jar later I was ready for implementation.  I explained to the boys that every time they were fighting (either for real or when playing too rough) they would each owe me 2 coins into my jar from theirs.  They seemed to understand and agree so we began.  I'll be honest, that first day I collected 10 coins, but since then it has drastically tapered off.  Usually just a reminder that they will owe me money if they don't calm down it enough to settle them.

So, parental victory is mine!  I'll admit, I'm pretty proud of myself.  I successfully thought of, implemented, and have continued a discipline program.  I feel all grown up!  It is possible one of my greater moments as a parent.  Plus the boys have really responded to it and seem to understand and enjoy it.  Life is good.  A great way to start the summer, and an encouraging one at that.

Lastly, I have been busting it to finish Trinity's yearbook for the 2010-2011 school year.  I took it over this year and it got pushed back until now due to my M.Ed. courses.  I did it at Memorial and I really do love it.  Of course there is the usual anxiety that no one will like it but I'm sure all will work out.  Anyway, I am finally finished!  As I blog I am proofing and publishing the pages, I love multi-tasking!  So, now that my final commitment for the school year is over, summer can officially begin.  I hope that blogging will resume on a more regular basis now too!  Whew, May was a doozie, but we made it!  

So, a post full of blissful good news!  My new discipline policy is a winner and my yearbook is completed (and I think it's great)!  I'm a pretty happy camper and it looks like it's going to be a great summer!

All is well, and super productive, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment