"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Sunday, January 11, 2015

One Word

One Word.

So I've already posted about my resolutions/goals for 2015.  But this is different.

This past week, the first week back after Christmas Break, was my week to lead our daily Faculty Devotions.  Nothing too stressful.  I knew it was coming.  But I still wanted to pick a meaningful devotion for the week.  Not just something random and thrown together.  Something that would be enjoyable and applicable both for myself and my coworkers.  So before we returned I began to search You Version for a New Years themed reading plan.  Something short, so it could be covered in the week.  Something relating to the new year, starting fresh, etc.  You get the idea.  But I just couldn't find anything that struck me as "perfect".  Ugh.  I really didn't want to just randomly pick a daily reading from a book.  

So, Monday morning comes and I try one last time to find something.  I'm stopped at a red light, one of the last turns before I make it to school.  I find it.  I read the description and it sounded just like what I was looking for.  Score!  I started the plan.

I never intended for it to be groundbreaking or super enlightening.  Just something to fit the theme and get us through the week.  Simple.  But as each day came and I shared the readings with our faculty I really began to enjoy it.  It began to resonate with me.  He began to work in me.

The basic premise of the One Word (which BTW you can visit their website for more information: GetOneWord) is that you think and pray about the upcoming year and the goals and plans  you have for it.  Then you begin to ponder one word that will guide you throughout your year.  As you think about it, you open yourself up to guidance from Him as the word is made known to you.  I won't go into it too much here, I suggest you read it for yourself.  It's a simple, 4-day plan that you could even read in one day.  Try it.  Head over to YouVersion and look for it.

So, by the end of the week I had my word.  I also think (hope) that a few of my coworkers have been inspired to find a word of their own for 2015.  Something that will impact their lives and faith.  Maybe.  

So, my word.  It came to me pretty suddenly.  I thought about it, what it could mean and how I could go with it.  It made sense  I could see ways in which it could benefit me for 2015 and ways I could grow with it.  So I went with it.  Listen.  That's my word.  Listen.

See, I talk a lot.  I know, it's not much of a surprise, but it's a fact.  Sometimes this leads to problems.  Listening is definitely something that I could use.  But it also could help in other ways.

Listen.  To others.  It will help me understand what they mean.  How they feel.  What they are truly saying.  This, in turn, can help me to communicate more effectively with them.  Improved communication is a plus in any relationship.

Listen.  To Him.  I tend to gravitate toward instant gratification.  I have a short attention span and want results.  Now.  I want my plans to work out.  Now.  But that is not always what is best.  I guess, rarely it is.  My timeline isn't the one that's most important.  So, by listening to Him I will be able to slow down and see the path He is leading me down.  His plans for me.  It will also teach me patience and contentment.  Hopefully.

Listen.  To myself.  Also to better communication I need to know and understand how I am feeling so I can properly relay that to others.  

So, there you have it.  One word for 2015.  Listen.  It doesn't lessen the other resolutions I have.  In fact it may help me to keep them.  Listen.  My plan is to continue to post about this throughout the year.  A sort of accountability.  

Again, I highly suggest you head over to YouVersion and the GetOneWord website.  Give it a try.  Find your word.  Good luck.

All is well, one word, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment