"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Monday, February 18, 2013

Read It!


Before I start, you were totally supposed to read the title of this post as though you were singing Michael Jackson's "Beat It"!  Get it?  Is it stuck in your head now?  If not, give it time!  Read on.

I love to read.  Maybe I've mentioned it before.  Since there was already a label for "Books" when I was writing this, I'm sure I have.  I may not always have/make the time to read, but I love it.  Amy does too.  We used to read for fun a lot.  That was way back before we had kids and our free time wasn't spent with laundry, dishes, packing lunches, diapers, and other kid-centric activities.  

However, now that the boys are older and Stella is so easy to manage, we have decided to make/find the time to read more.  Braeden is quickly becoming an avid reader himself and Jackson is showing interest in it also.  So, Amy (because I can't take all of the credit for this myself) found a public library nearby.  Because, let's face it dear readers, books are expensive so free is just the right price!

As it turns out there is a public library located within the Lone Star College just minutes from us.  Score!  So, a few weeks ago we headed out to get ourselves some library cards.  As you can see from the picture above the boys got theirs as well.  It is a great library with a fantastic children's section.  Amy and I quickly remembered how much fun it was to go to the library and check out books.  The boys were both in awe of the sheer number of books they could choose from.  Stella just enjoyed riding around the library in her stroller with the occasional stranger smiling at her and commenting on how cute she is (not that she expects that from everyone she comes into contact with or anything!).

In addition to checking out books for our own recreational reading, Amy has also found some great gardening books to help us out with our new hobby which, by the way, is coming along quite nicely.  Thanks for asking.  Once the weather warms up a bit more steadily we can transplant everything outside.  But I digress, back to the books.

We've also come to remember what an excellent resource the public library is for our classrooms.  Books about Lincoln and Washington for Presidents' Day?  Check.  Books about rocks, soil, and recycling for my Science unit?  Check.  Books about Chinese New Year and Mardi Gras?  Check and check!  It reminded us of when we were first married with limited funds and resources.  We would make weekly trips to the public library in New Orleans to check out books for our classrooms.  Memories.  

Ok, so I've totally nerded out about reading and the public library.  But that's cool.  I'll proudly wave my nerd flag.  I mean, I teach 1st Grade, so of course reading is going to be a hobby and a huge part of my life!  Hmmmm.  Maybe I'll start blogging about what I'm reading?  I'm seeing a regularly themed post?  Maybe?  Maybe.  We shall see.  For now though, I'm going to sign off and read a bit before bed.  Do you have a hobby/pastime that you are totally proud to nerd out over?  Reading?  You know there's something!  :)

All is well, literate, in Drosche Land.  

No comments:

Post a Comment