"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Wednesday, September 05, 2012

Teamwork

Ok, so Amy and I are both well into our respective school years and I have to admit, having her also teach First Grade has turned out to be a lot more fun than I thought it would be. Sure I knew we'd be able to talk shop and share ideas, but it's turned out to be even better than that.  I've told her that it's just like having a team teacher but without having to share anything or the obligation to do it someone else's way.

This might come as a surprise to you, but I'm a little OCD/particular about the way I do things.  It's not that I don't play well with others or don't get along, it's just that I have slight control issues. Especially when it comes to my classroom. I want things done my way. The first time. And only my way. I hate being away from the classroom, regardless of how awesome my Sub might be. It's never going to be done MY way.  Controlling, OCD, anal; call it what you will, it's just a fact of life. I've always said that I don't know how I would ever be able to teach the same grade as a coworker and team teach. I'm not sure I'm cut out for that. However, having Amy as a First Grade teacher seems to have presented me with the best of both worlds!

I have a peer who I can bounce ideas off of, go to for advice/counseling, and share things with. But, at the end of the day, I don't have to trade off for any subjects and my classroom is still just that - mine!  See what I mean? She's already given me many great ideas and fresh perspective on things.  I can get in a rut and, although I'm not always a fan of change, I do try to change things up from year to year to keep it interesting.  Having Amy around is only going to help me out in this department.

It's also been fun to see her as a teacher once again. I'd forgotten just how much fun it was to share teacher stories and talk shop. It also serves as a bit of therapy when she experiences the same or similar things as I do. Maybe it's not just me?!  Maybe it's 6-year-olds in general sometimes!  She's having such a great time too, it makes me happy. She loves her job and it's going so well!

Even though it's only been a few weeks, I can tell this year is going to be a good one.  Turns out change isn't always such a bad thing. Who knew?

All is well, Team Drosche, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment