"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Thursday, March 27, 2014

Just Keep Swimming

No. This movie isn't about Finding Dory, the upcoming sequel to Finding Nemo. Although, since I'm on that topic now, I'm quite excited to see it. The first movie was awesome and I love the character of Dory. Ellen is hilarious. Plus Stella is just getting to the age where she is into Disney movies. Right now the favorite it Frozen, and boy is it her favorite. So I know she will love this one too but I digress. 

Nope, I'm talking about actual swimming here.  Last year, you may remember, we took some time off from the boys playing sports since Stella was so young. It was just too much to lug a baby and all of her paraphernalia around to practices and games. Far too much schlepping in the heat for us. But it's a year later and things have finally, somewhat, settled into a smooth groove. So we decided to re-enter the world of competitive sports again. 

Their cousins joined a swim team last spring/summer and the boys wanted to then. Amy and I kind of took it in but didn't think too much about it since we'd decided against sports already. However, time flies and enrollment time was soon upon us a few weeks ago. Thus the discussions and decisions began. We were clear with them that a swim team is quite different than soccer or t-ball. The sport is different, the schedule very different, and swim team parents are a whole different breed all their own (more on this later if you have no clue what I'm talking about).  We also were very clear with them that once they sign up and commit, there would be no backing out. Not if it was too hard or something else came along. They agreed and we began. 

The first task came right before Spring Break when we had to have them fitted for their swimsuits. Wow. I mean you watch it in the Olympics but those suits are teeny. I mean teeny.  Since the boys are already on the small/slim side their suits basically look like Lycra socks. But they loved them and it only pumped them up more when they tried them on and ordered them. I myself am so glad I will not be donning swimwear that is anything close to what they'll be wearing. You're welcome. 

We still have goggles and swim caps to get but practice doesn't begin for 2 weeks. In that time we will be preparing for the many practices and meets that will be overtaking our lives for the next 2 1/2 months. But, in the end it will be great excercsie and they will become such great swimmers just by the constant exposure to the sport. So it's a win-win. I'll try to remember that when I'm waking up at 5:00 am every Saturday to head to a meet. That thought, and tons of coffee, might help the day go by more smoothly. We'll see.  But ultimately everyone is excited so that is a good thing. Plus, having all 5 cousins in huge same sport and on the same team (albeit in different age brackets) will be nice too. Easy to make it to everything and see everyone.  Another win-win. 

All is well, testing the waters, in Drosche Land. 

No comments:

Post a Comment