"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, November 06, 2012

Rock the Vote



Now I'm far from a politically active person. I'd love to be, and every year I aspire to become a fully informed voter. Someone active in politics who follows the goings-on in our government. But then I get bored and it all begins to sound the same. So I do the best I can. I watch the news and read a little. I try to stay somewhat in the know about the major issues. And I vote. Of course I vote. Even though I'm not a political person, voting has always excited me. When I turned 18, it was the thing I was looking forward to the most. I've been a registered voter ever since.
This year was no different. I braved the early voting lines last week in an effort to avoid the craziness of Election Day voting. 45 minutes, not too bad. Especially considering some estimates for tonight's lines were like 3 hours! Yikes!
I taught my kids in class all about voting and the election process today also, I always do. It's always so fun to see their thoughts and reactions, especially in a presidential election year. You'd be surprised by the politically heated things a 6-year old can say!
So tonight I've gotten all caught up in the excitement of election coverage and we've been watching since we got home. I'm getting tired but can't think about turning it off. What if I miss something? What if my viewership changes the outcome? Is my vote that important? I like to think so. It makes me feel better, especially since I didn't get an "I Voted" sticker! I know, right?! I mean I turn out, do my civic duty, exercising the rights my forefathers fought for and I can't even get a sticker for my vote! Oh well, what can I say, I teach 1st Grade, stickers are a hot commodity when it comes to rewards!
But I'm still happy I voted, sticker or not. It's exciting to be an American. It's fun to watch the country come together for a single cause, even if we have major differences. Freedom is good! So, I hope you voted too. If not, it's too late now but maybe you'll spend the next 4 years planning your political involvement. Hey, maybe I'll finally become politically active?! Stranger things have happened! :)
All is well, rockin' the vote, in Drosche Land
- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment