"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, May 04, 2010

Store-bought vs. Homemade

Well, tomorrow is Braeden's 4th birthday!  Once Amy and I got over the initial shock that he (and we) were that old it was time to start planning.  This year Braeden decided that his birthday theme would be Baseball.  Awesome!  Immediately my mind went to making a baseball cake!  I would make a standard round cake, frost it white, and then decorate it with icing (later changed to Twizzlers per Amy's great idea) to look just like a baseball.  I was excited!  So, eager with excitement, I pitched my idea to Braeden.  His answer was a resounding NO!  He instead wanted a baseball cake from Costco.  Now, don't get me wrong, I love a Costco cake or cupcake for that matter, but I was a bit disappointed.  So, a Costco it is.  I mean, it's not really my choice anyway right?  I'll get over it.  So we ordered a Costco baseball cake for his party.  Then I am hit with another idea!  I'll make a baseball cake for his actual birthday on Wednesday AND a set of baseball cupcakes for him to bring to school!  HA!  The best of both worlds!  Well . . . not so fast.  After buying all of the materials Amy and I come to a sudden realization.  This week is the first week of May, and May is the busiest time of year for teachers.  This week alone we have 4/5 late nights for a variety of reasons.  Tonight is the Spring Fine Arts Concert, that begins at 6:30, lasts about an hour, and we live in BFE.  So, by the time we get home, put the boys to bed, do homework, and make the desserts it'll be like midnight.  Too late.  So, on the way home tonight we will be making a quick stop by HEB or some grocery to pick up some cupcakes and a cake for tomorrow.  Again, I have to admit I'm a little sad.  Braeden won't care a bit since he will most likely be able to find something with Spider-Man or some other super hero or something that he thinks is the most awesome thing ever!  It would've been fun to make cute treats but, oh well.  There's always next year.  Just another reason to live closer to school, by the way the search is still on - hardcore but that's a post for another time.  So, we move forward with plans for the big day, photos of which will be covered in tomorrow's Wordless Wednesday!  He is super excited, and unaffected by the cake drama, which is how it should be!  I'm fine, really, I am.  :)

All is well, even with store-bought treats, in Drosche Land.

No comments:

Post a Comment