"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Play Ball!

Well, these past two nights have been quite late for us here in Drosche Land.  In fact, we have not gotten home before 8:00 p.m. either night.  What could be keeping us out and about so late you ask?  Baseball.  Well, actually Little League Baseball to be exact.  Both of our nephews are on teams through Spring Branch and they both had games this week.  Monday we traveled out to see Austin play.  Prior to that though we did get to drive around one of the neighborhoods we are looking into since it was quite close to the fields Austin's game was at.  This is the Spring Shadows area and we were quite pleased.  The area we were looking in was nice and quiet; the houses were well maintained, and the prices reasonable.  The only drawback was the high schools they were zoned to.  We really would like the kids to go to Stratford.  However, there is really only one neighborhood we can afford to move into that is zoned to this school so we will see what the future holds for us.  But it was fun to drive around and actually look at the houses.  We would also like to start going to open houses just to get a feel for the insides, yards, and layouts.  But I digress again, back to the topic at hand: baseball.

It should come to no surprise to those of you who know me that sports is not exactly my area of either expertise or interest.  Amy on the other hand is different.  She enjoys watching sports and grew up playing team sports (I only played basketball for on year in 5th Grade but that's a topic for another post).  Braeden was super excited to be seeing Austin play, although slightly disappointed that he himself would not be able to play baseball with him.  But he enjoyed the experience of being out there and at times was glued to the game.

Tonight was Jared's game.  Once again Braeden was enthralled the entire time.  I spent the time talking, on Facebook, or just taking pictures of the kids (see below).  As much fun as I know the boys would have playing sports, I am still quite leery.  I mean some of those dads are uber competitive - I am not.  Those dads are sports fanatics - I am not.  Those dads know the game and get involved - I do not.  Did I mention that some of those dads are crazy competitive and really get into the game?  So I don’t know.  I'm not sure I want the boys yelled at or pushed so hard.  Then again, maybe I'm just being defensive.  But there is also the time (not to mention monetary) commitment you must make.  I mean seriously?!  Practice and games on weeknights means not getting home before 7:00 or 8:00 regularly.  I don't know how I jive with that.  Right now it would be nearly impossible to handle with our Masters courses and living out in BFE.  But in the future it is still going to mean late nights and hectic schedules.  So hmmmm. . .

I know there are also many benefits to the sports.  Reinforcing concepts of teamwork and the whole physical health of it all but I just don't know.  Maybe I am being biased since I am not a, how do you say this, athletic person at all?  But that shouldn't mean holding my kids back I know.  So I guess I already know the answer and outcome to this debate - get the boys involved in organized sports and let them choose (except for football - that’s a no-no per Amy).  Luckily with our Masters and living situation we (I) don't have to make a decision or commitment any time soon.  However, we are only about a year out from having to do so.  So, time will tell, as it does for many things.  In the mean time, getting together and hanging out with the cousins is fun and entertaining.  So that's good, gives me time to open up to the idea and get over myself!  :)

All is well, while weighing the pros and cons of team sports, in Drosche Land.


  Jack loved playing on the dirt mound!
 
 Austin & Braeden had fun playing together
 
 Audrey enjoyed relaxing and watching the game

No comments:

Post a Comment