"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." Jeremiah 29:11

Saturday, November 13, 2010

You Can't Force Them

To stay young that is.  Yeah, I'm talking about the boys here.  They seem to be rapidly growing before our very eyes.  The title of the post is also a reference to the boys' sudden, and rapidly increasing, infatuation with all things Star Wars.  Gone are the days of cartoons like Clifford, Thomas, and Handy Manny.  Well, maybe not totally gone, but those days are definitely fewer and further between.  Instead we focus on sports, comic book heroes (namely Batman and Spider-Man), NASCAR, and the aforementioned Star Wars.  We are currently 2 episodes into the franchise (IV and V) and will continue to power through the remainder of them each and every Friday night (otherwise known as Drosche Family Movie Night).  Luke Skywalker ("The Skywalker" as Jack calls him), Darth Vader, and light sabers are the dominate topics of discussion around here lately.  Yoda, however, is by far the favored character by both boys.  Very interested in him are they.  Sorry, slipped into Yoda-ese there for a minute.  I am enjoying this though as I loved Star Wars when I was little, so in a way I get to relive a bit of my childhood with them as we train to become Jedi warriors.

On a side note, Amy and I are planning a very Star Wars Christmas in Drosche Land this year.  We are busy planning, researching, and adding many Star Wars themed items to the boys' Christmas lists.  It should make for a Christmas that's out of this galaxy.  Ha!  Get it?!  Well, I thought it was funny.  

So, when did it happen?  Did I blink?  Take too long of a nap?  I'm not sure, but somewhere along the way I traded my babies in for kids.  Big kids.  Most of the time the fact that they are older means more fun.  They understand more and are able to do more.  They have a sense of humor and help out around the house.  However, with big kids comes big attitudes.  And big mouths.  And big fights.  But, for the most part they are awesome.  Just big(er).  Every now and then they forget that they are supposed to be big boys and I glimpse in them the little boys I have become so accustomed to.  Then, the moment is over and I have my big boys back.  I can only imagine that this will continue to be the case as they get older and older and finally break free of my white-knuckled grasp and grow up into adults.  It's inevitable.  For the time being though, I will continue to relish every moment.  Trying to balance out the big boy movies, toys, and video games with some Disney or stuffed animals.  For as long as I'm able to.

All is well, the Force is strong here, in Drosche Land.   

No comments:

Post a Comment